Thursday, May 21, 2009

Escalante

Last week Bre and I went down to the desert near Escalante for a little break before I started back to school this week. Every time I go to this part of southern Utah I am constantly singing   the words of RJ Garn from his song Escalante... "Camping alone late at night on the river darkness settles down over me cold as the breeze gently rustles the trees and it sounds just like waves on the sea. I’m camping alone late at night on the Escalante and I'm free under the cottonwood trees." We watched the sun set on the slick rock while laying on a small beach under the cottonwoods.



The Cottonwoods are all filled with tent caterpillars right now. There were so many falling from the trees that it sounded like it was raining on our tent.






Bre making her first jump into Bluebelly. 




This is one of the arches located a couple miles up the Escalante river. The alcove in the bottom left has three large Anasazi structures.

9 comments:

wild bri said...

The Escalante does not look quite big enough to float this year. Nice action shot of Bre. I forgot about those ruins, they look pretty easy to get into.

J. Melody said...

Wow, Bre jumping in blue belly. Creed took me down to do that the first couple years we were married...it must be a right of passage. I bet it took your breath away, literally. Sounds like a great trip!

Kristina Curtis said...

We want to camp there so bad this year. Is this the best time to do it? ANy suggestions of where to camp exactly?

McKell said...

Wow, nice form Bre: Arm in the air, pointed up, legs bent perfectly. Looks fun... and cold.

Grandma Nancy said...

Welcome to the Blue Belly Club. It's a screamer, if you could catch your breath.

Unknown said...

Just practice for the bridge over the middle fork...
love you guys

Unknown said...

truth:
if i write 'love you guys,' do you think it is ashli or todd writing?

Adam and Hilary said...

I love Escalante. Jeni and I went our senior yr. I remember that water was ICE cold! We should plan a camping trip with everyone.

R.J. Garn said...

here we go, the escalante spot. This is R. J. garn, yes I'm still alive and living in the wilds of new mexico. Much thanks for your love of the song and the great spirit you send out when you sing it.
rjgarn@mac.com