Wednesday, September 10, 2008

The Contrast (as told by one side)


Today in my British Literature class we were studying the French Revolution and how it influenced Great Britain and its literature. My professor had us look at this picture drawn by Thomas Rowlandson in 1792 that was used as British propaganda against the revolution. Many of the upper class citizens in Great Britain were against the French Revolution and they began posting pictures like this one on the windows of stores so that the lower working class (those that couldn't afford to buy propaganda) could see how "horrible" the French were. So.... why did this make the blog cut?


I was thinking about how this related to politics today and how funny it is that political parties become so one-sided and extreme. As you watch commercials, read e-mails, or watch the news, it's hard to know what to believe because all of the politicians are typically going to tear down the other party. What I've decided is rather than believe everything I hear, I need to research it myself in order to find the "truth" behind the political schemes. No matter which party you are going to vote for this November, try to find out the facts. Don't rely on sources from the other party to sway your opinion. For all you know, it could be bogus just like this British propaganda. So ask yourself the same simple question the British asked; which is best?

4 comments:

Newty said...

Well said. I think you nailed the fact that no politician is tell just the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth. They all lie. You watch the debates and one candidate will say "My opponent believes ......" and then the other will respond with "no I don't and further more my opponent believes....." and on and on and somewhere between the does and does not is the truth. And the truth shall set... oh nevermind!

Nick and Dyanna said...

I didn't know you were so into politics. Nick gets bugs with me because I'm not... what can you do? Maybe it will interest me one day.

Unknown said...

yes, that is so funny. i liked your thoughts, and the direction blogging is going. i can't get enough. we live in such interesting times..

Chailyn said...

I'm with ya. If someone wants to have an opinion that is great but they need to make sure it is an educated one. More people need to take the time to learn the facts and then make there choice on who they will call there president. You go Bre!!!